Right of Way & Construction Permit Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is a right-of-way?
A. All publicly owned streets, alleys, or other public property within the City.

Q. How much right-of-way does the City have in the street?
A. Typically, the City owns from curb to curb plus an additional 0 to 20 feet of property behind each curb.

Q. Who can work in the right-of-way?
A. In residential areas, the homeowner can do the work or hire a contractor. In commercial areas, a contractor who is bonded and insured with the City of Odessa must do all of the work in the right-of-way.

Q. When do I need a permit?
A. All construction within the Public right-of-way of the City will require a permit. Examples are: construction or demolition of curbs, sidewalks, or driveway approaches; construction of fences or landscaping; etc.

Q. Is there a charge for a right-of-way permit?
A. Yes, there is a nominal fee to cover inspection expenses. The amount of the fee varies with the value of the construction. The minimum fee is $25.

Q. Do I need a permit to paint addresses on the curb?
A. Yes. Any vendor offering this service in the right-of-way must be permitted with the City. This permit fee is $10 valid through the end of the year. Painting of addresses on the curb is not a requirement of the City.

Q. When putting in a mobile home, or building a house on a lot, what are the right-of-way requirements?
A. Typically, a sidewalk will be required and a drive approach with paved or concrete parking for two vehicles. Wheelchair ramps are required on corner lots.

Q. When is an inspection required?
A. An inspection is required when all concrete has been removed, all excavation is complete and all forms are installed, and prior to the placement of any concrete or asphalt in the right-of-way.

Q. How wide can I build my drive approach?
A. Residential approach: 9 to 30 feet; Commercial approach: 24 to 35 feet.

Q. Why don't I have a sidewalk on my property?
A. The construction of the sidewalk is the responsibility of the developer or the property owner at the time that the property is developed. If a property owner wants sidewalk on a lot that is already developed, this work will be the responsibility of the property owner, and a permit will be required.

Q. Will the City repair my broken sidewalk?
A. Sidewalk maintenance is the responsibility of the property owner. Existing sidewalks can only be removed if it is replaced by new sidewalk.

Q. Where do I get a permit, call for an inspection or ask questions?
A. The right-of-way office of the Engineering Division on the 4th floor of City Hall, 411 West 8th St., or call (432) 335-3242.

Q. For how long is my permit valid?
A. If there is no activity on a valid permit for a period of six (6) months, it will become void.

Contact Information:

Engineering Division
411 W. 8th Street, 4th Floor
Odessa, TX 79761
Phone: (432)335-3242
Email: engineering@odessa-tx.gov