1) Ensure the amount of the check matches in figures and words.
2) Inspect the account number and make sure the drawer’s signature looks natural.
3) Make sure that the check is perforated on at least one side.
4) Inspect the check for additions, deletions, or other alterations.
5) Contact the check’s financial institution to confirm that it’s legitimate.
6) Obtain the phone number from a reliable source, not from the check itself.
7) Do not accept paper ID’s as a valid ID as they are easily forged.
8) Only accept valid ID’s (not expired) to cash checks.
9) Ask follow-up questions on suspicious subjects.
10) Collect thumb prints from subjects cashing checks in order to verify identity.
11) Report all suspicious persons and suspicious activity on the OPD app and preserve videos for all suspicious transactions.
12) Go to ftc.gov/scamalerts for more information about fake check scams.