1) Ensure the amount of the check matches in figures and words.
2) Make sure that the check is perforated on at least one side.
3) Inspect the check for additions, deletions, or other alterations.
4) Be wary and talk to someone you trust and contact your bank before you act.
5) Never take a check for more than your selling price.
6) Never send money back to someone who sent you a check.
7) If selling online, consider using an online payment service.
8) Report all suspicious persons and suspicious activity on the OPD app.
9) Go to ftc.gov/scamalerts for more information about fake check scams.