Board of Director Job Description
Title: Board Member
Summary: Keep Odessa Beautiful, Inc. (KOB) operates as a public-private partnership between the City of Odessa and nonprofit organization Keep Odessa Beautiful, Inc. As the governing body for the nonprofit arm of KOB, the all-volunteer Board of Directors is responsible for providing oversight and strategic direction for KOB and its programs.
- Prepares for, and attends, all monthly board meetings. Attendance at Board meetings held every third Thursday of each month:
January and February – via email or virtual
March – in person meeting at 5:30 p.m.
April and May – via email or virtual
June – in person meeting at 5:30 p.m.
July and August – via email or virtual
September – in person meeting at 5:30 p.m.
October and November – via email or virtual
December - retreat
- Board members may not miss more than two (2) meetings in a calendar year.
- Participates in occasional “special call” meetings, held as needed on a date convenient to the majority of the board.
- Attends and participates in an annual half-day planning retreat each December, to establish goals and objectives for the upcoming year.
- Works with the staff and other board members of KOB to outline long-range goals.
- Participates actively on two committees of two events and participate in two events of your choice: Spring Sweep, Community Challenges, Fall Sweep, Texas Recycles Day, Planet Troopers, Recycle Fashion Show or any other fundraising event that KOB decides to do.
- Strives to become knowledgeable about KOB’s mission, vision, and objectives and how it is accomplished.
- Thoroughly reads pertinent documents, and readily asks questions to clarify and understand the information being presented.
- Responsibly manages and oversees the financial assets of Keep Odessa Beautiful, Inc., for the benefit of the organization.
- Exercises a “Duty of Loyalty” if serving on multiple boards simultaneously, disclosing conflicts of interest, and maintaining confidentiality.
- Safeguards the KOB mission, and ensures that programs hold true to the organization’s mission, vision, and values.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local laws, to maintain the public trust.
- Uphold the ethical, legal, and financial integrity of the organization.
- Builds a collegial working relationship with fellow board members to facilitate a positive board environment.
- Maintain an annual KOB membership at a level meaningful to the individual.
- Serves as an advocate for KOB in the community to advance the organization’s mission and purpose.
- Provide advisory support to KOB’s Executive Director.
- Assist with expanding KOB’s resources through fundraising, relationship building, and acknowledgment of supporters and volunteers.
- Provide a written resignation if unable to fulfill these expectations.
Estimated Time Commitment:
|Activities||Monthly Hours||Yearly Hours|
|Board Meetings (Jan-Nov)||1.5||12.5|
|*The KOB Board meets the third Thursday of each month. (Meetings: 4 in-person and 8 virtual)|
|Committee/Special Project Meetings *KOB Committees meet during work hours, in person or by conference call||1.5||18|
|Assitance at two special events each year *Special events typicall take place on Saturdays||8|
|Non-meeting and community activity (approx.)||5||60|
|Annual Appreciation and Business Mixer||2||4|
|Annual Board Planning Retreat||4||4|
|TOTALS||1.5-5 hrs.||Approx. 106.5 hrs.|
Board member applications are accepted year-round, with terms beginning with the start of KOB’s fiscal year. Applicants must agree to serve a full 2-year term.
To be considered for a board position, complete the online application form. The KOB Executive Director will then contact you to arrange an in-person meeting.
Online Application Form: KOB Board of Directors