Business Assistance Program
We are no longer taking applications.
In an effort to assist small local businesses impacted by COVID-19, the City of Odessa’s Business Assistance Program (COBAP) has been developed. The program is available for business interruptions occurring on or after March 18, 2020 (date of the Mayoral Disaster Declaration) due to COVID-19 which resulted in required closures, voluntary closures to promote social distancing, or decreased customer demand.
The City of Odessa received funding from the CARES Act and intends to distribute $500,000 of those funds in the form of grants to eligible Odessa small businesses directly impacted by COVID 19.
Grants ranging from $2,500 up to $10,000 will be made to eligible businesses with 20 employees or less at the time of application. Grant applications will be accepted via the City of Odessa website or by delivered to the City Manager’s office. Grant applications will be processed and reviewed by the COBAP Advisory Committee.
All required documentation must be submitted with your grant application. However, the City of Odessa and the COBAP Advisory Committee are available to assist any eligible Odessa business in completing the application and producing the required supporting documentation.
Grant funds are open to businesses who meet the following criteria:
- Annual gross revenue must be under $750,000 dollars.
- Be able to demonstrate a loss of revenue due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Employees include full-time and part-time employees.
- For-profit businesses, including sole proprietorships, corporations, limited liability partnerships and other similar business entities with twenty (20) employees or less at the time of City of Odessa’s COVID-19 emergency declaration on March 18, 2020.
- Have no conflicts of interest with the City of Odessa, Odessa City Council or COBAP Advisory Committee. City of Odessa elected officials and their immediate family members, City of Odessa staff and COBAP Advisory Committee members are not eligible for assistance.
- Must be located within the Odessa city limits. This includes “brick and mortar” locations and mobile businesses. Business locations will be verified by reviewing Certificates of Occupancy or valid City of Odessa vendor permits.
- Must be registered to do business in the State of Texas.
- Must have been in operation for at least one year prior to March 18, 2020.
- Owner/Applicant must be current with property taxes, State and City sales tax and any and all City fees.
- Owner/Applicant must not currently be in bankruptcy nor have filed for bankruptcy in the last 12 months.
- Sexually oriented businesses and gambling establishments are not eligible for assistance.
Duplication of Benefits
Businesses may not receive COBAP funds if they have already received federally-subsidized disaster assistance such as Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL Loans), Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans or Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) funding. Grant applicants for COBAP funds must disclose any funds applied for and/or received from these sources or other federal assistance programs.
If a duplication of benefits is determined to have occurred after COBAP funds have been disbursed, the amount of funds determined to be duplicative must be repaid to the City of Odessa by no later than November 11, 2020.
COBAP funds can be used to reimburse the expenses incurred by the eligible Odessa businesses on or after March 18, 2020 for business interruptions due to COVID-19 which resulted in required closures, voluntary closures to promote social distancing, or decreased customer demand. Examples of these expenses include, but are not limited to:
- Fixed Assets:
- Business software (Quickbooks, etc.)
- Contactless payment devices
- Equipment / Machinery (must be directly related to COVID-19)
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Technology (ex. Online order and payment systems)
- Health care benefits
- Payroll Expenses
- Rent, lease or mortgage payments for real property used for business purposes. (ex. A storefront or warehouse. Does not include personal residence.)
- Rent, lease or purchase payment for business property (ex. Delivery vehicle, food truck, kitchen equipment, technology payment, and communications systems/equipment.)
- Supplier payments
- Working Capital
- Cost of digital marketing
- Website design
- Website improvements and redesign
Funds can be used for one or all of the above expenditure examples. Businesses who receive grant funding will be required to document how the funds are used and submit documentation to the City of Odessa and COBAP Advisory Committee as the funds are utilized. All grant funds disbursed to eligible Odessa businesses shall be used by December 1, 2020.
The grant application will require verification of pertinent documentation. Any applicants that are unable to provide the required documents may still submit a grant application for review and consideration. The COBAP Advisory Committee is available to assist any eligible Odessa business in completing the application and producing the required supporting documentation.
Business owners must complete their COBAP application and include a minimum of one or more of the below documents:
- 2019 Business tax returns
- Business operating bank statements from the last year OR check register detailing business expenses
- Financial Statements
- Sales Tax Report
Business owners must also submit the below documents along with their application:
- Form W9
- Proof of Business location inside the City of Odessa city limits
- Valid Personal Identification
Applications will be reviewed in the order of receipt. If applicants are unable to secure the required documentation or need technical assistance in submitting the grant application, members of COBAP Advisory Committee will be available to provide guidance.
Grant application will be reviewed and approved by the COBAP Advisory Committee.
The COBAP Advisory Committee will render a decision on grant applications within 5 days of receipt of completed application and supporting documentation.