The Solid Waste Division is part of the Public Works Department, and provides a reliable and efficient system of collection and transportation of municipal solid waste from residential and commercial customers in a professional, consistent, cost effective and environmentally responsible method, resulting in the enhancement of the quality of life in Odessa and the public welfare.
Roll Out Carts
- Place your carts on the sidewalk for service by 7 a.m.
- All service pickups must be in a city-assigned roll out cart.
- Non-city approved containers will not be picked up by the driver.
- Bagged trash that is not placed in the proper container will be skipped.
- The driver will not exit the vehicle to adjust placement or clean out containers that are over packed.
Mulch Pick-Up Program
A small quantity of mulch can be picked up in front of the Household Hazardous Waste Facility, adjacent to the recycling center. To obtain large amounts of mulch please call the Solid Waste Department to set up an appointment.
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
Many of the products we use in our homes contain hazardous chemicals that can pose a threat to the environment and our health. Take precaution while handling it, keep it away from children and find out the proper method of disposing it by visiting your Household Hazardous Waste Facility.
To track and calculate your carbon footprints and the changes you can make to reduce your environmental impact, please visit Carbon Footprint Calculator.
Residents are encouraged to compost their biodegradable goods such as fruits, grass clippings, eggshells, vegetables, tea leaves, paper, and hay. Composting returns essential nutrients to the soil by creating hummus, whilst reducing our carbon footprint. Please visit howtocompost.com for further information about composting.
- Our ambition is to educate and equip each citizen with the tools to lessen their environmental impact through recycling, reducing, reusing and composting.
- Value and respect our employees.
- Continuously plan for the future.