Assistance by the Community Development Department is given on a first-come, first-serve basis. Homeowners are put onto a waiting list and will be contacted as funds become available to rehab or repair their homes. In order to receive assistance the homeowner must meet the following standards:
- Property Ownership: the homeowner must be the "Owner of Record". The property should also be clear of any liens before the City can assist the homebuyer. The owner must also have owned the home for a period of at least twelve (12) month immediately prior to submitting an application.
- Residency: applicant must provide evidence of having resided on the premises to be rehabilitated on a continuous basis for a period of at least twelve (12) months immediately prior to submitting an application.
- Taxes: in order to be eligible all property taxes for potential homes must be current. All back taxes must be paid in full for rehabilitation/reconstruction and minor repair assistance. In the case of emergency assistance homeowners may be assisted; however, they must not owe more than $150.00 in taxes.
- Citizenship: All applicants must be a U.S. citizen or have long-term legal residency status.
- Drug and Criminal Activity: Any resident of the property cannot have a felony conviction within the last five (5) years.
If you meet the criteria above please call the Community Development Department at (432) 335-4882 to discuss being put on our waiting list.